Benefits for accidents at work and occupational diseases

The Federal Agency for Occupational Risks is the centre of expertise for occupational risks, particularly those related to accidents at work and occupational diseases.

You are entitled to a benefit for an accident at work if you have an accident that causes an injury during, or as a result of, work carried out as an employee.

You are entitled to a benefit for an occupational disease if you become ill because you work in a sector in which you are exposed to an occupational disease. There is an official list of occupational diseases. However it is possible to have a disease that does not appear on the list recognised as an occupational disease.

Allowances for occupational diseases

The following are insured for the effects of an occupational disease:

  • Private-sector employees working under a contract of employment. These include:
    • students and trainees, even if they are unpaid;
    • disabled persons undergoing rehabilitation;
    • job seekers engaged in vocational training;
    • apprentices and students at risk of contracting an occupational disease during their training.
  • Public-sector employees.

You are not covered by compulsory insurance for occupational diseases if you are self-employed. However, you can make a claim under the sickness and disability insurance for self-employed persons. Contact the National Institute for the Social Security of the Self-employed (NISSE) for more information.

Allowances for accidents at work

Every employee who is incapacitated as a result of an accident at work is entitled to compensation.

An accident at work is:

  • a sudden event that causes an injury and that happens during, or as a result of, work carried out as an employee;
  • an accident that happens on the way to or from work.

Occupational diseases

If you are a private-sector employee and you contract an occupational disease, you may be entitled to one of the following allowances:

  • a permanent incapacity allowance;
  • a temporary incapacity allowance;
  • compensation for medical costs for the treatment of an occupational disease;
  • an allowance for assistance from another person.

If you die as a result of an occupational disease, the allowance is paid to your dependants.

You can apply to Fedris for an allowance by completing Form 501N (in French) and asking your doctor to complete Form 503N (in French) on the Fedris website. You should send the two forms and any supporting medical documents to Fedris.

If you are a public-sector employee you must contact your personnel department. They will tell you what to do.

You can find out more about the procedures on the Procedure for recognition of your occupational disease (in French) page on the social security portal.

Accidents at work

Employees or their families are entitled to various types of allowance, depending on the situation.

Your medical care costs are repaid if you have an accident at work. You will find the details on the Accidents at work: repayment of costs page (in French) on the Belgian social security portal.

If you are unable to work, you are entitled to the following allowances:

  • full or partial temporary incapacity: daily allowance;
  • permanent incapacity: an allowance during the recovery period and a pension at the end of that period.

You can read more about these temporary incapacity allowances (in French) and permanent incapacity allowances (in French) on the Belgian social security portal.

If you die as a result of an accident at work, your next of kin may be entitled to a pension. You can find out more on the Fatal accidents at work: who receives which allowance page  (in French) on the Belgian social security portal.

Federal Agency for Occupational Risks (Fedris)

Avenue de l'Astronomie 1
1210 Bruxelles

+32 2 272 20 00